compulsory youth education camps to synch hour of hate

Dynamite Bob dbob at semtex.com
Wed Oct 10 12:48:56 PDT 2001

Tuesday October 9 5:28 PM ET

Paige Urges Schools to Recite Pledge

WASHINGTON (AP) - If all goes as planned, many of the nation's 52
million students will
simultaneously recite the Pledge of Allegiance on Friday.

On Tuesday, Education Secretary Rod Paige urged all 107,000 public and
private elementary and
secondary schools to take part in a campaign organized by the nonprofit
Celebration U.S.A.

In a letter sent to principals, Paige noted that since the Sept. 11
terrorist attacks, Americans have
supported the victims, their families, rescue workers and the military.

``Today I ask students, teachers, parents and other proud Americans
across the country to join me in
showing our patriotism by reciting the Pledge of Allegiance at a single
time and with a unified voice,''
Paige wrote. ``We can send a loud and powerful message that will be
heard around the world: America is
`one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for
all.'''

The pledge will be recited at 2 p.m. EDT on Oct. 12, and at the
corresponding times in the other U.S. time
zones. Paige will participate from a Washington-area school.

Paige spokeswoman Lindsey Kozberg stressed that taking part in the
synchronized pledge recital is
voluntary.

Villa Park, Calif.-based Celebration U.S.A., founded by a retired
teacher, distributes educational
materials to schools to help students learn about American democracy and
patriotism.

The Pledge of Allegiance was first published in 1892, and has been
changed twice since - to substitute
``the flag of the United States of America'' for ``my flag'' in 1924 and
to add ``under God'' in 1954. It was
officially recognized by the U.S. government in 1942.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/ap/20011009/us/attacks_pledge_1.html