One-way airline tickets considered suspicious

James B. DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Wed Oct 10 09:07:03 PDT 2001

quoting from memory from the high-caliber discussion found on the "John
Boy & Billy Big Show" this A.M. May be off on the details but I got the
gist,

*click radio on"

[Female security "expert", did not catch her name]

...police are doing a good job of trying [that's a direct quote] to
search cars parked in front of buildings [etc]...but people [now I'm
gonna compress somewhat and use the "p" word, which she danced around.]
should not get paranoid, see terrorists under every bush, and give up
civil liberties, because that means the terrorists win.

[Some retired gasbag of a general these guys trot out for every
altercation, police action, etc. Tom something or other.]

...I have to disagree emphatically with that. Look at Israel, where 90%
of suicide bombers are stopped because they're on constant alert. It's
going to take an increased, sustained, constant state of awareness of
what's going on around you....etc....etc...

[discussion of suspicious parcels "forgotten" elided]

[Terrorism Dr. Joyce] Oh, absolutely, Take one-way plane trips, for
example. How many people need one way tickets? Why would they want them?
  [Insert additional comments from the show's peanut gallery here] If
someone purchases a one-way ticket, they should be asked why.

*click off*

If an airline wants to search my luggage as a precondition of honoring
my ticket, they're within their rights, insulting as that may be. My
reasons for traveling are none of their business, though. Like anybody
up to no good wouldn't have a convincing lie ready.

America, get a fucking grip.

jbdigriz

--
"Sir, you've purchased a one-way ticket to Maranello. Mind telling me
what your plans are?