BART Loses Grip Re: Anthrax Case Number Three

FogStorm fogstorm at mac.com
Tue Oct 9 21:42:29 PDT 2001

I've no idea how any of these measures are supposed to inhibit *suicide*
bombers.

http://eastbay.bcentral.com/eastbay/dailyedition.html has this to say
about it:

BART will increase police presence throughout its mass-transit train
system, close all station rest-rooms and remove all garbage containers
from the platform level as part of heightened security measures.

Bay Area Rapid Transit will continue to monitor all trains in key
locations, including both ends of the Transbay Tube between San
Francisco and Oakland, a move that began after the Sept. 11 terrorist
attacks on the East Coast.

BART also said elevators serving subway stations on the system will
temporarily operate on an on-call basis, with users contacting station
agents through an intercom.

BART, which carries more than 330,000 commuters a day, also is urging
passengers to not leave packages, suitcases or other large items on cars
or trains.