Talking to the Press Considered Harmful

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Tue Oct 9 21:19:31 PDT 2001

At 12:12 AM 10/10/01 -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 08:22:50PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
>> -- the main reason people give interviews is to get their name out in
>> the press, to drum up business.
>>
>> This is why people will drive 20 miles to get to a television studio to
>> appear for 70 seconds on CNBC or CNN. All they want is the exposure.
>
>I've been doing semi-regular appearances on CNN for about four years.
>They'll send a car for you if you ask, no need to drive.
>
>But I suppose I fall into the above category. I do TV interviews
>primarily because, in no particular order: (a) it's good experience;
>(b) it raises my profile and the profile of my employer; (c)
>management likes it; (d) I can try to inject some substance into what
>are typically superficial discussions.

Yes, what's cool is that others benefit besides you and the broadcasters
who sell your bits. Similarly with Tim's output, whether its here or
elsewhere.
Certainly no one has an obligation to clue others in, but its good when they
choose to[1], especially when its a side effect of their own benefit.

[1] If of course I agree with them :-)