Google and the Net

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Oct 9 17:04:07 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:40:14PM +0200, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Google thus serves as an honesty mechanism, holding people responsible
> for what they have said and making it more difficult for them to conceal
> revisions to their published opinions.

Not necessarily. Anyone who wants to post something controversial and
deny it later will hide it behind a cgi script or something Google
won't index.

Google caches catch only those who didn't take precautions.

> It's unfortunate that we have to rely on Google.  Imagine an ongoing,
> distributed project to cache the web.  Volunteers could keep tabs on
> a subset of corporate and personal web pages and cache old versions
> when changes are made.  Rewriting history becomes that much harder.
> And it's certainly a better use of computers than seti at home.

Sounds great. Good luck in starting it. I'm sure you've estimated
how much this will cost -- and what market demand will be.

-Declan
(online since early 1980s, on the Internet since 1988, who still
thinks FAQs are a great way to find info)