Talking to the Press Considered Harmful

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Tue Oct 9 19:20:38 PDT 2001

At 10:04 PM 10/9/01 -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>At 06:31 PM 10/9/01 -0700, David Honig wrote:
>>This agreement isn't enforcable, is it?  Even if it were, by the time
>>you've sued them for
>>damage to your rep for misquoting, its too late.
>
>Agreements similar to this that sources make with media organizations have
>been held by courts to be enforceable, yes. I suspect this one would be too.
>
>Too late? How about damages.
>
>>It would be better for Tim (etc) to do a writeup, post it, and point
>>to it.  Then others could find the original and compare reporters'
>
>No, reporters will want to ask questions on the phone, or, more rarely, in
>person for audio or video taping. (There are many good reasons for this.)
>An essay by Tim isn't good enough for those reasons and also, frankly, for
>more parochial reasons of "exclusivity."
>
>-Declan

Ok.  I was trying to use tech to solve a social problem.

"As a mental experiment, lets go along with FBI director Freeh
and try to envisage what might ahve happened if those bombers had actually
succeeded in toppling both towers of New York's World Trade Center,
killing tens of thousands." --David Brin, _The Transparent Society_