Register on Anderson: "Times misquoted me - crypto expert"

Steve Mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 08:54:20 PDT 2001

Ken Brown <k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk> writes:

> The (London) Times is in a sad decline historical eminence as the paper
> of record since it was taken over by Murdoch. It is basically run as a

It was in decline for years before it was taken over by Murdoch and
the circulation has increased greatly under his ownership.

Murdoch revitalised the entire UK newspaper industry by destroying the
stranglehold of the print unions who had prevented the production of
The Times for several months in the late 1970s.

Print unions also at this time had censored newspapers by refusing to
print articles they didn't like.

> The implication has to be that the Times is no longer a newspaper in
> this context, but an instrument of government propaganda.

The Times behaved poorly in this matter but I don't think it is an
instrument of government propaganda.

Not in the sense the BBC is.

1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk

    she came from planet claire/i knew she came from there