RIAA Secret Meeting

Greg Newby gbnewby at ils.unc.edu
Tue Oct 9 08:30:52 PDT 2001

Astounding quotes from Hilary Rosen:

	"The drop in CD sales can be directly attributed to the new generation
	of file swapping services.  Because of their de-centralized nature, it
	is impossible to determine whether usage has surpassed that of Napster
	at its heyday."

gbn translation: "Even though CD sales have increased, they haven't
increased as much as we dreamed.  Therefore, we need to blame
something we can't even measure.  The only sound alternative
is to consider that our lowest-common-denominator pablum-puking
crappy products simply suck."

     	"We must ask that the safeharbor provision of the DMCA be
	removed.  Because of the magnitude of the
	problem, Internet service providers can no longer be shielded
	from the wrath of the law."

gbn translation: "I am the law" (spoken with a Judge Dredd sneer)

	"Once we stem piracy, we will be able to raise prices in order to
	regain lost profits from piracy."

gbn translation: "If we're unable to stem piracy, we will need
to raise prices to fight piracy better."

I'm a little worried that "Anonymous" misspelled Hilary Rosen's name,
but at least he/she got the gender right
(http://images.google.com/images?q=Hilary+Rosen) for pics.

The only remaining question is whether the fact of the meeting
can be verified via other sources.

  -- Greg