Satellite of love

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat Oct 6 14:22:43 PDT 2001

The NRO's web page "How to Contact Us" information doesn't say
         "Put a big sign on your roof and we'll call you."
but it does have pointers to CIA recruiting information.
http://www.nro.gov/funstuff.html - kids! Build your own satellite!
http://www.nro.gov/satpics.html - pics of a spy satellite

NIMA has cut back on what pictures they'll distribute,
according to John Young, but there's still some good stuff there.
http://164.214.2.59/navsafety.html - lots of GPS-related material.
http://164.214.2.59/gns/html/cntyfile/av.txt - anguilla ICBM addresses.
Vince Cate:
1       -1393191        -2000673        18.2166667      -63.05  181300
-630300 20QMF9471314158 MF91    NE20-06
P       PPLC            AV      0                               N
                     THEVALLEY       The Valley      The Valley
http://164.214.2.59/gns/html/cntyfile/af.zip - Afghanistan
http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/gps/gps_f.html - GPS Technology.

At 11:51 AM 10/06/2001 -0700, Optimizzin Al-gore-rhythm wrote:
>VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- A secret satellite for
>the National Reconnaissance Office was launched into orbit Friday by
>a giant Titan 4B rocket.
>Outside experts have said the satellite was likely equipped with a
>digital camera able to show objects as small as 4 inches diameter
>on the ground.

Amazing - they used to talk about 1 meter resolution....

>The NRO builds and operates the nation's spy satellites.
>Prior to 1996, it did not publicly disclose the launches of its atellites.
>
>The launch was the 33rd of a Titan 4, the nation's largest unmanned
>launch vehicle. Four Titan 4 launches have failed,
>including three in 1998 and 1999.

More than 10% fail on launch - I'll be happy to let them stay unmanned...
Reminds me of the scene in "The Right Stuff" where the astronaut
is talking about how he's about to get thrown into space
by a rocket built by the lowest bidder.