Satellite of love

Optimizzin Al-gorithm oa at acm.org
Sat Oct 6 11:51:15 PDT 2001

Spy Satellite Launched From Calif.
By Associated Press
VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- A secret satellite for
the National Reconnaissance Office was launched into orbit Friday by
a giant Titan 4B rocket.

The Titan lifted off at 2:21 p.m. and the payload separated nine minutes

later, the Air Force said. The mission was not disclosed.

Technical problems had delayed the launch since Monday.

Outside experts have said the satellite was likely equipped with a
digital
camera able to show objects as small as 4 inches diameter on the
ground.

                    The NRO builds and operates the nation's spy
satellites. Prior to 1996,
                    it did not publicly disclose the launches of its
satellites.

                    The launch was the 33rd of a Titan 4, the nation's
largest unmanned
                    launch vehicle. Four Titan 4 launches have failed,
including three in
                    1998 and 1999.

                    Built by Lockheed Martin, Titan 4s can put a
47,800-pound payload
                    into low-Earth orbit or more than 12,700 pounds into
geosynchronous
                    orbit 22,300 miles above the Earth.

http://latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-classified-launch1005oct05.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dnation%2Dheadlines

                        I saw two shooting stars last night
                      I wished on them but they were only satellites
                      It's wrong to wish on space hardware
                      I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care

A new England
  Billy Bragg