Anthrax...coincidence?

Eric Cordian emc at artifact.psychedelic.net
Sat Oct 6 00:17:54 PDT 2001

Tim forwards:

> Two cases of anthrax in Florida, if this is true, when there have been
> very few cases in the past 100 years. (And even fewer pulmonary
> cases...)

Prior to the current concern about biological warefare, tissue samples
were not routinely tested for anthrax, so doubtless there were cases of
fatal respiratory illness due to anthrax that flew under the CDC radar.

Now all suspicious respiratory illnesses are being analyzed by the CDC, so
we could just be catching cases that might have been missed before the
period of heightened awareness.

While two cases in Florida are an odd coincidence, I will wait for a few
more before drawing any conclusions that people were deliberately
infected.

You can inhale anthrax spores from handling animal hides or fur,
particularly imports.  Anthrax is present globally, so two cases in
Florida are hardly evidence of a deliberate biological attack.

Let's not all rush to our sealed rooms yet.

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+