ZKS Shutdown

fade at freedom.net fade at freedom.net
Fri Oct 5 01:40:23 PDT 2001

At 06:44 PM 10/4/2001 +0000, Ian Goldberg wrote:
<snip>
>    As we began our feature triage for Freedom 3.0 (almost 9 months ago)
>    we heard from customers and focus groups of users, as well as
>    channel partners (i.e.
>    http://www.zeroknowledge.com/media/pressrel.asp?rel=08152001), and
>    reflected on the statistics from our existing user base, and decided
>    that there was not enough mass market demand for the premium
>    services to justify continuing the service.

The shittiest part about this is the 7 day notice. (I have +/- 2.5 years worth
of pseudonymous contacts, registrations, software releases, etc which
I now have 7 days to figure out how to clean up  :P)

Based on that paragraph, it sounds like this was a decision ZKS made a long
time ago. Wow, I've never been fucked as bad as this by any company I
had trusted to "do the right thing". Guess that'll teach me.  And of course
ZKS isn't even going to be decent enough to provide the option to have nym
mail forwarded to another address for an interim time.

Obviously, if the business model isn't sustainable, they have to shut it down.
However the way ZKS handled the shutdown and in particular their total
disrespect for their (ex)customer base is absolutely unforgivable.

--fade