Dealing with Islamic terrorists, and with Afghanistan

Dr. Evil drevil at sidereal.kz
Thu Oct 4 17:39:25 PDT 2001

Interesting idea in the area of "psychological warfare" I guess, but
one problem: There are Jews and Moslems in the US army who might have
a lot of problems with this.  But hey, I'm in favor of anything that
can end this conflict with the minimum of human bloodshed.  Didn't the
US drop beer on the Ho Chi Minh trail at some point?  Maybe we need a
big beer delivery in Kabul.  Perhaps a Britney Spears concert?

One thing to keep in mind is the ordinary guys in Afghanistan are
aching for anything American (or rather, anything American that
doesn't go "bang").  When Titanic finally got circulated in
Afghanistan on video tape (a few years after it came out in the West)
guys were getting Leo Dicaprio hair cuts, and that pissed off the
Taliban.  Maybe the US could take advantage of its cultural, instead
of military, might?  Any other solution is better than killing if
possible.

> It may or may not work - I don't know how serious these guys are about
> their religion. Should the leaders be more worldly they might struggle
> with their texts to devise a palatable philosophical out for their field
> soldiers.

>From what I can tell they don't take their religion seriously at all.
First of all, Islam does not allow sucide attacks.  Secondly, I just
read that these guys were habitues of the Vegas stripclub scene.  I
guess that's a little luxury you can't find in Kabul.  Allah will
judge them.