cryptome down ?

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Oct 3 03:44:33 PDT 2001

John Young wrote:

> At the moment it appears that Verio's DNS server failed to
> register cryptome.org as a valid domain name, whereas
> jya.com was. We've placed an order to correct that.

FYI it works fine from over here & has for a while.

nslookup www.cryptome.org
Name:    cryptome.org
Address:  161.58.201.197
Aliases:  www.cryptome.org

nslookup jya.org
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    jya.org
Address:  216.248.201.38

> We had ordered that the two domains be put on two different
> boxes, geographically distant, to avoid both sites going
> down if one was knocked out. Hey, there's WMD about
> called PATRIOT.
>
> However, now I learn that Verio uses one DNS server for
> the two boxes so an attacker needs only to throw one stone
> to kill both our birds. Grrr. That is what we wanted to avoid.

Do you mean that there really is only one nameserver? If so that would
be a large-scale dereliction of duty for a respectable ISP. Or that
there are two (or more) servers, but both your entries are on the same
ones? That would be OK.

> A smart sales rep assured me that this was the way to
> go, after I had placed two orders for two machines to keep
> them separate. No need for that he said, let me tell you
> a better way. No doubt my simple-minded security method
> would have been breached by some Verio setup based on
> its own Japanese government spying principles, which is
> to say I can't escape being terrorized by Ashcroft.
>
> What's the connection among Code Red, Nimda and
> Carnivore?

Nasty computer programs written by clever but socially deprived authors?

Ken Brown