IP: Newsweek: FBI had one hijacker before Sept 11th and Justice DeptBumbled (fwd)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 3 11:25:34 PDT 2001

On Wednesday, October 3, 2001, at 10:08 AM, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 12:59:34 -0400
> From: David Farber <dave at farber.net>
> To: ip-sub-1 at majordomo.pobox.com
> Subject: IP: Newsweek: FBI had one hijacker before Sept 11th and Justice
>     Dept Bumbled
>

>> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 09:44:40 -0700
>> From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger at ultradevices.com>
>>
>> {The FBI and the Justice Dept had tools before Sept 11 and didn't use
>> them. They don't need more ways to errode our civil liberties, they
>> need
>> to be competent}

Let's look at a section of the article cited:

""....after officials at an Eagan, Minn., flight school tipped them off
that the 33-year-old French citizen was acting suspiciously. Moussaoui
had sought training only in making turnsnot take-offs and landingsand
specifically asked about flying over New York air space, officials said.
  "      But, while Moussaoui himself was placed in detention on minor
immigration charges on August 17, agents in Minneapolis were never given
approval by Justice Department officials in Washington to open up the
hard drive on the suspects computer. ..."

So, "acting suspiciously" is now the backdoor to the Fourth Amendment?

Or was it the "minor immigration charges"?

There are thousands, even tens of thousands, of "minor immigration
charges" every day. Papers not in order, visas expired, even failure to
produce proof of citizenship. (Hint, yours truly, T C May, cannot easily
find  any proof of his citizenship...we native born folks don't _need_
no stinking proofs of citizenship. So, if I am "acting suspiciously" and
cannot produce my citizenship papers, does my hard drive suddenly become
fair game for snoopers?)

Beware the logic of using 20/20 hindsight as a justification for
expanded search powers.

"Had we been allowed to look in his trunk, we would have found the gun
he later used to kill those people. We need the power to do our job."

"Police admit that they could have detected the illegal drug deals if
only they had deployed more video surveillance cameras. We must give
them the power to do their jobs!"

"Key escrow would have helped."

--Tim May