USG muscles Arab TV stations to present its view

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed Oct 3 10:28:46 PDT 2001

I'm offline, so I haven't read the full article, but
Al-Jazeera news service was one of the users of the
Infocom Corporation, http://www.infocomcorp.com/
web site in Texas that the Fedz shut down September 5.

At 06:30 AM 10/03/2001 -0700, Khoder bin Hakkin wrote:
>Note that the offending Arab TV station has a "tendency to run
>interviews with analysts who argued U.S. foreign
>policy had brought about the recent attacks on the
>World Trade Center and  the Pentagon."
>

>As if there were another reason.  Oh sorry, its about "democracy",
>right.
>

>US to Qatar: rein in Al-Jazeera
>  Tuesday, 2 October 2001 20:14 (ET)
>
>http://www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=226316
>
>  US to Qatar: rein in Al-Jazeera
>  By ELI J. LAKE

======
At 11:46 PM 09/06/2001 -0500, Jim Choate wrote to the Cypherpunks list
 > http://slashdot.org/yro/01/09/07/0048215.shtml

It's an outrageous story.
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010906/us/business_raided_2.html
http://www.middleeastwire.com/newswire/stories/20010905_meno.shtml
http://www.txcn.com/texasnews/463428_TXCN_ba_FBIRaid.html
http://www.wfaa.com/wfaa/articledisplay/0,1002,31013,00.html - 9/5/01
http://www.wfaa.com/wfaa/articledisplay/0,1002,31120,00.html - 9/6/01
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010906/wr/mideast_usa_internet_dc_3.html

Infocom Corporation, http://www.infocomcorp.com/
is a web hosting and computer sales company based in Richardson, Texas,
supporting over 500 clients, particularly Arabic web sites,
which were shut down temporarily during the raid (many are back up now).
Clients include Al-Jazeera television and the newspaper Al-Sharq, both
based in Qatar, and
several major Muslim American organizations such as the
Council on American Islamic Relations, the Islamic Society of North America,
the Islamic Association for Palestine and the Holy Land Foundation.