RIAA Legal Analysis

Subcommander Bob bob at black.org
Wed Oct 3 08:36:59 PDT 2001

At 07:20 AM 10/3/01 -0500, measl at mfn.org wrote:
> An excellent technical analysis from the RIAA legal dept.  Any errors
of
>transcription are likely my own - see the original at
>
>  http://www.fuckedcompany.com/extras/riaa_memo.cfm
>
> for as long as it is there...
>
>My favorite part is the last paragraph, where they talk of getting
>FastTrack to roll over on MusicCity!

I wonder if they violated any terms in the EULA during their
reverse engineering..

Material Contribution

 o FastTrack [XEROX] creates and licenses software primarily used for
the reproduction
   and distribution of copyrighted works.

 o FastTrack [ADOBE] created and controls encryption that ensures that
the network
   remains closed and insulated from outside monitoring.

 o [YAHOO] Provides a dynamic list of available supernodes where content
can be
   exchanged (possibly through the .38 server).

 o [YAHOO/GOOGLE] Continually updates the list of available supernodes
and communicates that
   information to users (likely through the .34 server).

 o [YAHOO] FastTrack, MusicCity and Grockster maintain log-in servers.