Amusing note from RIAA

measl at mfn.org measl at mfn.org
Wed Oct 3 05:08:07 PDT 2001

from http://www.fuckedcompany.com/extras/riaa_email.cfm

----- Original Message -----
From: Hilary Rosen <hrosen at riaa.com>
Sent: 9/25/01
Subject: Peer to Peer Services

Dear all:

It is time to get coordinated and aggressive with the new round of peer to
peer
services. The amount of music being downloaded is, as you know, reaching
unprecedented levels. Since college started last week Morpheus traffic was
up
to 19 million downloads per day. AND THAT'S JUST MORPHEUS. With the
imminent
launch of legitimate subscription services we have to get our customers
back.

I know you want your new businesses to be successful. So do I. Given the
overwhelming volume of these alternative services, RIAA can't handle all
of the
enforcement alone. If they are not controlled more effectively and
consumers
redirected to legitimate offerings, there won't be new businesses. That's
obvious.

You are all competitors, but you have common interests in
enforcement. Help me
help you. I'd like to have a meeting at the RIAA in October as soon as
possible. If you agree to participate, I will have my assistant try and
work
with schedules to get a date that works.

I want to keep the meeting small to start (we can expand participation to
other
companies later).

We need to discuss:

1. Spoofing and/or interdiction methods for existing peer to peers -
(perhaps
by adding promotional messages about the launch of various new systems)

2. A PR campaign

3. We will share the latest legal strategies and RIAA's thinking on
options

Please plan on attending. I am cautious about sending alternates because
we
need people who have the ability to make decisions and commit to spending.

Best regards,

Hilary