cryptome down ?

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Wed Oct 3 05:52:51 PDT 2001

At the moment it appears that Verio's DNS server failed to
register cryptome.org as a valid domain name, whereas
jya.com was. We've placed an order to correct that.

We had ordered that the two domains be put on two different
boxes, geographically distant, to avoid both sites going
down if one was knocked out. Hey, there's WMD about
called PATRIOT.

However, now I learn that Verio uses one DNS server for
the two boxes so an attacker needs only to throw one stone
to kill both our birds. Grrr. That is what we wanted to avoid.

A smart sales rep assured me that this was the way to
go, after I had placed two orders for two machines to keep
them separate. No need for that he said, let me tell you
a better way. No doubt my simple-minded security method
would have been breached by some Verio setup based on
its own Japanese government spying principles, which is
to say I can't escape being terrorized by Ashcroft.

What's the connection among Code Red, Nimda and
Carnivore?