cryptome down ?

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Tue Oct 2 22:02:31 PDT 2001

There have been a half dozen folks who said today they could
not access Cryptome, but it's accessible from here. And there
are only a half dozen blocks of rampaging bots.

However, we are in the process of switching the archives
to new machines and IP address changes are in the works
-- completion due any day now. I had thought that was
the problem but at the moment cryptome.org and jya.com
still go to the current machine.

The reason for the change is that the current machine has
been swamped with worms and our ISP, Verio, has not been
able to get rid of them, not even with a total wipe of the storage
and new programs, nor have any suggestions worked.
So two new machines have been rented to try a fresh start.
Cryptome on one, jya.com on the other -- heretofore both
were on a single machine.

Copies of the archives have been transferred, so there are
two sets at the moment, the current box and the new ones.

New addresses:

  cryptome.org 161.58.201.197

  jya.com 128.121.222.215

We're dreading the ravenous worms coming, and the
locust-plague of spiders and bots. We'll see which box gets
hit first and from where the predators originate. Oddly, even
before we loaded one of the machines its log showed a
sustained worm attack of hours long error messages, then
the hits ceased, as if worms withdrew to await http prey.
Weird shit out there.