Congress drafts new "anti-terror" bill -- with expiration date

Ian Goldberg iang at abraham.cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 2 13:49:34 PDT 2001

In article <5.0.2.1.1.20011002130702.034e05f0 at idiom.com>,
Bill Stewart  <bill.stewart at pobox.com> wrote:
>It's nice that the proposal has a sunset clause in it,
>to limit the amount of time that we're subject to the
>various good or bad half-baked suggestions and the various
>agencies' requests for powers they've always wanted.
>Expect that the worst parts will get extended indefinitely over the years :-)

Note that (if I'm reading it right) the sunset only applies to Title I
(the Internet surveillance bits), and not, for example, to the "hacking
is terrorism" bits in Title III (section 309).  The sunset also applies
to the IRS ratting on income generated from terrorist activities in
section 405.

   - Ian