America needs an enema...

Jamie Lawrence jal at abulafia.com
Tue Oct 2 15:32:51 PDT 2001

At 06:02 PM 10/2/2001 -0400, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>At 09:41 PM 9/30/01 -0500, measl at mfn.org wrote:
>>While I would *like* to think that your point is _completely_ valid and
>>all-encompassing, I'm afraid I can't :-(   Unfortunately, we are just as
>>interested in "liberating" everyone else (read: forcing them do do as we
>>please, but not necessariily as we do) on the planet.  The U.S. has a
>>rather intense ego problem.
>
>Actually that raises the interesting question-

>That is, since all governments violate people's rights and some violate them more than others, would attacks on governments by outsiders be proper (as internal revolution presumably is)?
>
>My poli sci prof once said "after the 'Revolution' of 1845 in England, the Liberals imposed laissez-faire."  Can one impose non-imposition?
>
>Is it wrong to kill a government?

I had a debate with my poli-sci prof, too. I asked her, specifically, about
anarchic institutions and the role of government. After a preamble about
there being nothing to discuss if there weren't any government, she
replied something like, "The role of government is to plot a vector
towards the unobtainable, in hopes that people will reach for it. Bad
regimes will throw lines at horror. Good ones throw them at the stars.
If a set of people with the reins of power steer things the wrong way,
it is indeed the duty of those governed to set them right."

I am sure I misquoted her, so I am not including her name.

On another note, I just rejoined the CP list after a rather long
hiatus. I hope people will be just as abusive as when I left before.

-j