America needs therapy

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Mon Oct 1 21:04:19 PDT 2001

At 10:13 AM 10/1/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Until Sep. 11, at least, we may have adopted a cost-benefit
>approach. Non-oil fuels are far more expensive, and more radical approaches
>like wiring homes for solar would be quite intrusive and also expensive.

While I agree that all non-oil energy has, until recently, been more
expensive its been a self-fulfilling prophesy.  If you don't make the
investments or provide the incentives to innovation then progress is slow
or stopped.  Breakthroughs in efficiency and economics are finally being
made but their delayed arrival can be laid directly on the doorstep of
Congress and past administration inattention.

-Wind power is finally competitive with on-grid fossil fuel plants (i.e.
$0.04 - $0.05/KWh).
-Improvements in fuel cell efficiency and fuel choice
http://www.llnl.gov/str/June01/Cooper.html should make them competitive
within a decade for transportation, on-grid and off-grid applications.
-Solar, while still not yet competitive with fossil fuel on-grid is
steadily improving.  (Off-grid its already competitive.)  Recent,
non-public developments, should enable substantial commercial breakthroughs
soon.

>So perhaps (note I'm not saying our politicos were actually this smart or
>that this is good foreign policy) the thinking was that by interfering
>in the middle east, which has a high cost, the benefits of cheap oil
>justified it.

As Tim and others have pointed out oil only looks cheap if all the costs
are not exposed at the pump.  The most cost-effective measures to energy
reform are conservation but since consumers and business have been shielded
from directly/visibly bearing much of the true costs for petroleum-based
power production the market signals were absent and conservation was too
often ignored.

A link to what could be saved with reasonable and currently available
consumer and commercial choices
http://www.rmi.org/sitepages/pid509.php  One of the philosophical sources
for RMI is Natural Capitalism http://www.natcap.org/  Has anyone on the
list read this work or have an opinion?