America needs therapy

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Mon Oct 1 20:45:40 PDT 2001

At 01:25 PM 10/1/2001 -0400, James B. DiGriz wrote:
>Declan McCullagh wrote:
>A far more productive application of corporate welfare would be if that
>money were spent on engineering research and development of geosynchronous
>solar power microwave relays, fusion and advanced fission reactors,
>permanent manned statons on the Moon, Mars, asteroids, etc. The planet and
>its politics would likely be a lot cleaner. Just one beneficial side effect.

Research in geosynchronous power satellites is still being funded.  One
program, started in Japan but which is now also funded by NASA, uses 5.7
GHz transmission to a ground based RECifying anTENNAs.  Another project
intends to use IR lasers.  My understanding is these projects are receiving
serious funding and prototypes should fly soon.

steve