Lesson from WTC: Question Authority

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Mon Oct 1 12:20:18 PDT 2001

On 9-11 I was awake at 5:30 AM PST reading the paper and watching CNN.
Predictably I was glued to the news until past noon. When I finally made
it into work I was here about an hour or two when I was told that
someone had phoned in a bomb threat. The official advice from the PD was
essentially "you can stay in the building if you want to." I stayed just
long enough to let everyone know. The consensus was exactly this - "fuck
it, we're outta here." I couldn't think of a single reason to take a
chance even if it was most likely just some goofball over at the
insurance company who felt he should have the day off like everyone in
the WTC.

I think everyone is so used to a nice, safe, cushy existence that crises
are not recognized and urgency is seen as foolish.

Mike