[FREE] stratfor (fwd)

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Oct 1 07:07:11 PDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 04:11:21PM -0400, James B. DiGriz wrote:
> What I find interesting is how we can have a war without a Congressional
>     declaration, which out of practical if not legal necessity requires
> something at least approximating a foreign power as the enemy. It would
> be extremely helpful if there were some overt state action or at least a
> smoking gun to publicly identify such party.

Call me unusually hawkish, but I don't see why that's necessary. Let's
say our fleet was attacked at Pearl Harbor 60 years ago -- but by an
enemy who did not paint his flag on his aircraft. Congress could, and
should, declare war on an unidentified enemy.

I admit the situation is not as clear here, since generally only nationstates
can raise air armadas and non-nationstate organizations could have trained
the Hijacking 19, but perhaps the parallels are nevertheless sufficient.
Think of it as an "unidentified co-conspirator" approach.

-Declan