Moving beyond "Reputation"--the Market View of Reality

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Fri Nov 30 17:24:58 PST 2001

I think you'd want to have a regular public key change, where the user
creates a new public key, signs it with their old key.  This way key
change does not suggest possible ownership change.

Then to effect a nym transfer, the new public key is instead chosen by
the new owner, and the old owner signs it.

This still leaves the problem of the old nym revealing a previously
unpublished identity revocation, or simply some signed statements
which are damaging to the nyms reputation.

Some ideas on this:

- introduce a time-stamping service for certification signatures only
  (explicitly not for documents)

- re-define valid certificate signatures to be signatures made on
  public key and identity pairs within the validity period of a key

- publish signature private keys after expiry.

Now anyone can create nym revocation with old keys, and so no
reputational damage can be done by the old owner with nym revocations.

The time-stamper will not assist in signing arbitrary documents, and
so the old nym owner can not use it to prove a document was signed
during the validity period of the key.  (Were it signed after the
validity period it would anyway not be considered a valid signature).

Where general document signing time-stamping is used, to prevent
post-sale nym reputation suicide, the new owner could demand all past
signed messages and verify them against the merkle hash tree master
hash maintained by the time-stamper, and vet the messages as not
damaging to the nyms reputation.

For private encrypted messages the nym would not like to share, even
after nym sale, a non-transferable signature scheme could be used,
with the time-stamper having a separate hash-tree for such signatures.

The new owner would be somewhat assured that the old owner could not
have any signatures that he can both prove the time of authorship of
and transfer.

The availability of third party time-stamping services, and other
simple methods of dating documents (pre-published hash, 3rd party
vouching for time of authorship) limits the assurances provided by the
above approaches.

Another avenue might be designated verifier signatures where the
signature sheme necessarily requires collaboration of a verifier, and
the verifier will take instructions from the current owner.

Or better where only the current owner in collaboration with the
designated verifier can assist a user in verifying a signature.  (eg
using pro-active security to re-split the key on nym sale so the old
owner isn't able to collaborate in verification).

In this way the new owner gets to vet which signatures the public can
verify.

Adam