I hate, I think.....

mikecabot at fastcircle.com mikecabot at fastcircle.com
Fri Nov 30 16:43:27 PST 2001

Apparently, the EU will be formally making hatethink a crime,
although I suspect that this proposal won't in fact get unanimous
approval.

Notice how the Nazis (oh, excuse me, the Germans) are providing
the "legislative basis" for the draft, meaning its modeled after
existing German hatethink law.

After two World Wars and 56 years, they still don't "get it". And
obviously neither do some of the rest of the Europeans. (Not that
Herr Doktor Grupenfuhrer Ashcroft "gets it" either.)

Full text below, this is the URL:

http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
xml=/news/2001/11/29/wrace29.xml&sSheet=/portal/2001/11/29/por_right.h
tml

EU considers plans to outlaw racism
By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard in Brussels
(Filed: 29/11/2001)

RACISM and xenophobia would become serious crimes in Britain for the
first time, carrying a prison sentence of two years or more, under
new proposals put forward by Brussels yesterday.

Holocaust denial or "trivialisation" of Nazi atrocities would be
banned, along with and participation in any group that promotes race
hate.

The plans, drafted by the European Commission, define racism and
xenophobia as aversion to individuals based on "race, colour,
descent, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin".

Ordinary crimes would carry heavier penalities if they are motivated
in any way by racism or xenophobia, or if the culprit is carrying
out "professional activity", such as a police officer. Some of the
crimes listed are, broadly speaking, offences under British law
already, such as public incitement to violence.

But the list also a covers a wide range of activities that sometimes
fall into the sphere of protected political speech, such as "public
insults" of minority groups, "public condoning of war crimes",
and "public dissemination of tracts, pictures, or other material
containing expressions of racism of xenophobia" - including material
posted on far-Right internet websites.

It was not clear yesterday how the law would affect radical Islamic
groups that openly promote anti-Semitic and anti-Christian views.

Nor was it clear how it would apply to political parties opposed to
mass immigration, such as Austria's Freedom Party, Belgium's Vlaams
Blok, and the Danish People's Party, all of which have become serious
political forces.

The law could potentially cover many stand-up comedians, and even
Anne Robinson, who, during an appearance on BBC television this year,
described the Welsh as "irritating".

The proposals, which will require the unanimous backing of all 15
states, are aimed at ending the patchwork of different laws across
the European Union and establishing a common definition that can be
used by all judges. The commission appears to have adopted the most
restrictive code - Germany's - as the basis for the rest of the EU.

Leonello Gabrici, the Commission's judicial spokesman, denied that
there was any intention of curbing political expression. "This
totally respects free speech. It will be up to judges to decide where
the balance lies" he said.

The United Kingdom Independence Party said yesterday that it could be
targeted by the new rules, noting that the Oxford English Dictionary
definition of xenophobia is "a morbid fear of foreigners or foreign
countries".

Nigel Farage MEP, the party's chairman, said: "I'm morbidly
xenophobic about this new country called the European Union, so if
that is covered by this law then I'm most certainly xenophobic and I
could be extradited anywhere. So I'm going to make sure my overnight
bag is packed and ready."