Moving beyond "Reputation"--the Market View of Reality

Wei Dai weidai at eskimo.com
Fri Nov 30 12:14:13 PST 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 07:53:02PM -0800, georgemw at speakeasy.net wrote:
> Even this is not a scalar.  Since reputation cannot be bought
> and sold, the idea that it is worth a specific well defined amount is
> false.

If you own a nym, you can easily sell its reputation. Just give the
private key to the buyer.

> well, maybe.  But if we define reputation capital the way you did
> (the value one places on one's own reputation) then it's important
> to be aware that one can only know the value of one's own
> reputation capital.

Yes, I see that as the biggest problem with reputation capital, which is
why I proposed a different way of providing disincentives for nyms to do
bad things. See http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai/bmoney.txt.

> 2) you can see to it that the bank doesn't know who
> "you" are when you buy the certificates in the first place.

How do you propose to do that?