Trying again (Re: failure notice)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Nov 30 10:44:09 PST 2001

Attempting to get this through. About half of the messages I have tried
to send to lne.com have failed with this error, the same reported by
others. Some of these I have resent, others I have just let sit in my
error box.

I value lne.com a lot, but the various weirdnesses (e.g., 24 hours
without any messages, then a burst of them, and these bounces) may cause
me to switch to some other node.

On Friday, November 30, 2001, at 10:07 AM, MAILER-DAEMON at got.net wrote:

> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at got.net.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
> addresses.
>
> <cypherpunks at lne.com>:
> 209.245.148.2 does not like recipient.
> Remote host said: 550 <cypherpunks at lne.com>... User unknown
> Giving up on 209.245.148.2.
>
> --- Below this line is a copy of the message.

> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:01:01 -0800
> Subject: Re: CNN.com - Bush defends tribunals, saying 'we're at war'
> -November  29, 2001
> From: Tim May <tcmay at got.net>
> To: cypherpunks at lne.com
>

> On Friday, November 30, 2001, at 09:06 AM, Adam Shostack wrote:

>> for
>> |
>> | Quite interesting the language they keep using: "Terrorists don't
>> have
>> | rights."
>> |
>> | The 1200 persons detained without due process, without habeas corpus,
>> | for close to three months, are presumed to be "terrorists" and thus
>> are
>> | denied the rights guaranteed by the Constitution.
>>
>> No, they're not.  See this article in yesterday's Times:
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/28/national/28LEGA.html?ex=1007614800&en=
>> ec5ced02619720c8&
>> ei=5040&partner=MOREOVER
>>

> I see nothing in this article to alter the gist of what I said. The
> article says 1100 were held at one time. 548 still being held. Yeah, the
> charges are vague "immigration violations," but we know why they were
> really detained and are still being held. (BTW, lawyers for a bunch of
> them, those who have managed to get lawyers that is, have said their
> clients would like to return to their home countries. Should be SOP to
> let a "immigration violation" detainee solve the problem by leaving,
> right?)
>
> An undisclosed number of those detainees are being held incommunicado as
> "material witnesses." Not as immigration violations, but as "material
> witnesses." The same vague basis could be used to arrest and detain
> without charge dozens of folks just like us on our list.
>
> Civil liberties types used to gasp at British plans to arrest suspects
> without charge and hold them for up to 72 hours on the say-so of a
> burowcrat...look at the holding of 548-1100 people for a period of
> weeks-months without any charges being filed in open court.
>
> "Immigration violations" and "material witness" my ass!
>

>> What grounds Ashcroft is using to deny them their civil rights is not
>> clear.
>>
>> Who will rid me of this meddlesome Constitution, indeed.
>>
>> | The police state measures rushed into law by Congress will be used to
>> | suppress dissidents long after this war is over.
>>
>> Quite sad.  There was an article in IP last night about Canada doing
>> the same thing; defining protesters as terrorists.  (There's a history
>> here; the RCMP was quite vicious in its post-arrest treatment of
>> protesters against some Indonesian dictator a few years ago.)

> [...]
--Tim May, Corralitos, California
Quote of the Month: "It is said that there are no atheists in foxholes;
perhaps there are no true libertarians in times of terrorist attacks."
--Cathy Young, "Reason Magazine," both enemies of liberty.