CNN.com - Bush defends tribunals, saying 'we're at war' -November 29, 2001

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Nov 30 08:21:32 PST 2001

On Friday, November 30, 2001, at 07:55 AM, Harmon Seaver wrote:

>       Dubbya should be impeached, and both he and Asscruft arrested for
> treason.

Quite interesting the language they keep using: "Terrorists don't have
rights."

The 1200 persons detained without due process, without habeas corpus,
for close to three months, are presumed to be "terrorists" and thus are
denied the rights guaranteed by the Constitution.

(Note that the C. does _not_ say these rights are held by citizens. It
says these rights existed _prior_ to the writing and ratification of the
Constitution and apply to everyone. There are a few rights, such as
voting, which are spelled out as applying to citizens above a certain
age (varies according to Congress' whims), and so on, but it is clear
which rights these are. To see this, imagine if it were decreed that
only legal citizens who are not felons could practice a particular
religion. Or could publish their ideas. Slam dunk violations of the
First, regardless of citizenship status.)

The police state measures rushed into law by Congress will be used to
suppress dissidents long after this war is over.

The one good thing about this action is that we won't have to hear from
Congressvarmints complaining about some radical chick (not to be
confused with radical chic) in Columbia given a secret military
trial...we're now doing the same thing to our Constitution-spouting
radicals!

ObBeckett: "Will no one rid us of that accursed city on the Potomac?"

--Tim May, Occupied America
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.