collaborationist

mattd mattd at useoz.com
Thu Nov 29 05:14:25 PST 2001

Andy Hughes, AFP general manager for international and federal operations,
said computers seized in raids around the world often contained links and
leads to others involved in child sex offences.

He said more arrests were likely to follow.

"These jobs are interesting in that they have a tendency to generate so
many more avenues of inquiry over the course of the coming weeks," he said
"That will then be the genesis of a new global operation. They do tend to
self feed these types of investigations."

Mr Hughes said the operation demonstrated the benefits achieved by
international cooperation.

"We really are tackling this in partnership with our colleagues overseas,"
he said.

"This whole concept of patch protection has gone. We have always cooperated.

"But we are working now collaboratively with our colleagues both in
Australia and overseas.

"It is the only way to operate. The crooks do it. In this case pedophiles
do it. We are using the same methodologies."

In this case the AFP was the coordinator between the lead agency, the UK's
National Crime Squad, and police in Australian states and territories.

He said a senior liaison officer in London attended early meetings with the
NCS and briefings at the Interpol secretariat in Lyons, France.