Photog arrested for shooting nuke plant

Khoder bin Hakkin hakkin at sarin.com
Thu Nov 29 14:10:21 PST 2001

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAZ1FW2NUC.html

Vermont Newspaper Photographer Is Taken Into Custody for Taking Pictures
                             of Nuke Plant
                 By Wilson RingAssociated Press Writer
                         Published: Nov 29, 2001
MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) - A newspaper photographer was taken into custody
by police under a 1917 Vermont treason law for taking pictures of a
nuclear power plant. But a prosecutor said he will not press charges.

Jason Henske of the Brattleboro Reformer was held by Vernon police for
two hours Wednesday before being released along with his camera and the
images.

Windham County State's Attorney Dan Davis said Thursday that after
reviewing the case, he decided not to prosecute. He would not elaborate.

Vernon police did not immediately return calls for comment.

"It makes you very angry. I think this was completely uncalled for,"
said Henske, 26.

The paper said it would use the photos Friday for a story about security
at the Vermont Yankee plant - a move the prosecutor said would be
irresponsible.

"The security at Vermont Yankee and some of the other power plants in
the state, dams, and hydroelectric generating facilities have been a
concern for law enforcement as potential targets for terrorists," Davis
said. "I think police in certain situations are justified in trying to
protect citizens from incidents which may occur at those facilities."

The treason law was passed during the opening days of U.S. involvement
in World War I. It was intended to protect railroads and other public
facilities during wartime. The offense carries up to 10 years in prison.