Publicizing CDC officials' home phone nos, stalking

Khoder bin Hakkin hakkin at sarin.com
Thu Nov 29 10:54:52 PST 2001

poorly excerpted from
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-000095027nov29.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dcalifornia

On
Wednesday,
San Francisco
 law
 enforcement
 officials
 agreed. Police
 arrested
 Michael
 Petrelis and
 ACT UP San
 Francisco
 spokesman
 David
 Pasquarelli on charges of criminal
 conspiracy, stalking and making
 terrorist threats against newspaper reporters and public health
officials. The pair,
 who are allies, are accused of calling reporters and health officials
at home
 repeatedly past midnight, making threats and leaving obscene sexual
messages.
 Together, they are charged with 27 felonies and misdemeanors.

                      Both men have acknowledged making or encouraging
late-night calls, sometimes
                      using foul language, but have denied making
threats. They cite the need for a
                      "new phase of activism" to combat what they call
false public health studies and
                      biased news articles that have scared the gay
community and discouraged gay
                      sex.

                      "I did not make any death threats. I did not make
any bomb threats," Petrelis
                      said. "Was I using abusive language? Well, yeah."

                      The men were held in lieu of $500,000 bail.

                      Petrelis has acknowledged publicizing the home
phone numbers of top officials
                      at the federal Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention in Atlanta. And, on
                      posters and the ACT UP San Francisco Web site,
Pasquarelli's group has
                      superimposed swastikas and other Nazi insignia on
a picture of a top San
                      Francisco public health official, Dr. Jeffrey
Klausner, calling for his ouster.