Drivers License as ID Card

Sandy Sandfort sandfort at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 28 14:25:25 PST 2001

Inchoate backpedaled:

> Why would Congress/President not invoke a
> National ID card themselves while allowing
> the states to do it with their permission?
> Why would Congress/President hand power
> over to the states they didn't want to
> exercise themselves?
>
> Answer: They won't.

Correct answer:  They would.  Given that the House and Executive branch are
in Republican hands.  And given that Republicans tend to support "states
rights," using the states as a cat's paw to introduce a national ID via the
back door makes perfect sense.  (Unless you only have inchoate sense.)

 S a n d y

http://www.dictionary.com/wordoftheday/archive/1999/10/26.html

Word of the Day for Tuesday October 26, 1999:
inchoate \in-KOH-it\, adjective:
1. Recently, or just, begun; beginning.
2. Partially but not fully in existence or operation; existing in its
elements; incomplete; imperfectly formed; as, "a vague inchoate idea".
Writers basically work by instinct - I think you have only an inchoate sense
of what you're doing.

--John Gregory Dunne, quoted in "How John Gregory Dunne Puts Himself Into
Books," New York Times, May 3, 1982
You take on a project because of the feeling, perhaps inchoate, that it may
in some way contribute to your deeper understanding of the larger-scale
research program you have chosen as your life's work.

--Christopher Scholz, Fieldwork: A Geologist's Memoir of the Kalahari
Still, if I'm honest, the most thrilling moments all came early, in the
Fifties and Sixties, when the music was a primary focus of my energy,
shaping my desires, coloring my memory, and producing the wild fantasy,
widely shared, that my generation was, in some inchoate way, through the
simple pleasure we all took in rock and roll, part of a new world dawning.

--James Miller, Flowers in the Dustbin: The Rise of Rock and Roll, 1947-1977
Inchoate is from Latin inchoatus ("only begun, not finished, incomplete"),
past participle of inchoo, inchoare, which is an alteration of incoho,
incohare, to begin.