Drivers License as ID Card

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed Nov 28 02:25:34 PST 2001

At 06:01 PM 11/27/2001 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Michael Gurski wrote:
>
> > I guess it wouldn't be unconstitutional if Congress approves it...  Or
> > does this not count as an "Agreement or Compact with another State"?
> > Somehow it reads that way to me.
>
>The problem, there is no real support. If Congress was so motivated they
>could do it themselves and they haven't, not like they haven't been
>trying. I don't consider 'National ID Cards' a major problem, more like
>flash/bangs to distract your attention.

Congressional approval for this sort of thing is about like the
proverbial ham sandwich that prosecutors can get grand juries to indict.
It wouldn't be a problem in itself, but Congress can delegate
much of it to the bureaucratic\\\\\\\\\\\executive branch.
Furthermore, while states probably couldn't make the kind of
agreement that would give one state Constititional standing
to sue the other for non-performance of the agreement
without a bit of help from Congress, they can certainly have their
bureaucrats go discuss common standards without getting busted for
anti-trust violations.