The times, they are a changin'...and so is SSZ...Open Forge?

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Tue Nov 27 16:27:34 PST 2001

Howdy,

Just a heads up on some basic changes that will significantly effect each
and every one of you. We are undergoing a fundamental change in direction
and goals. We are going to start a Linux/Plan 9 based source forge which
includes hardware as well as software. The tools will be Open Source. We
will offer closed source licenses as well. We will continue the on-site
service, still 24*365 (at varying rates), and development services. A
fundamental change will be the majority of SSZ services will move to
open-forge.org or open-forge.com. We're also adding visual graphics arts,
focused on web pages and limited length animations. Club Inferno, The CDR,
& Austin Cypherpunks will not move from ssz.com however. Our other mailing
lists will move to open-forge.org in early Jan. 2002.

The network will be more complex than my current single site. It will
consist of three (3) seperate physical sites (N. Austin, C. Austin,
Elgin). The N. Austin site will host a T-1. This will be fed by ISDN to
the current SSZ site (about 10 miles away). Elgin (about 30 miles away)
will consist of a ISDN link to the T-1 site as well. There is a potential
for a site in Leander (about 20 miles) sometime next year - no promises.
We will build a Plan 9 based network for Hangar 18 that will be available
for public use.

This means that sometime in mid-Dec. of this year we'll be moving to a
T-1. There may be a few of days of flaky service and then we should have
it worked out. We apologize for any problems or inconveniences this may
cause. We won't drop the current ISDN link until the T-1 is working so we
should at most have a day or two of downtime (hopefully I can do the
swap in a couple of hours).

These sites will offer 802.11a/b wireless acess as well as 56k dial-in
services. The dial-in services will not be offered to the clients or
Hangar 18 (we're not a ISP, sorry). The wireless resources will be
accessed through accounts setup under Hangar 18. We currently have a
single AP up on N. 183 behind Target (irrelevant to non-Austinites) but it
is not set for outside access at this time.

More to come, I promise...

             Day by day the Penguins are making me lose my mind.

                                             Bumper Sticker

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com