Drivers License as ID Card

Michael Gurski cypherpunks at gurski.org
Tue Nov 27 15:51:56 PST 2001

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 04:13:23PM -0600, Jim Choate wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>
> > Americans and their Drivers Licenses.  There's something funny about
> > them.
> >
> > **************
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A32717-2001Nov2?language=printer
> >
> > "States Devising Plan for High-Tech National Identification Cards
> >
> > By Robert O'Harrow Jr.
> > Washington Post Staff Writer
> > Saturday, November 3, 2001; Page A10
> >
> > State motor vehicle authorities are working on a plan to create a
> > national identification system for individuals that would link all
> > driver databases and employ high-tech cards with a fingerprint, computer
> > chip or other unique identifier."
>
> Fortunately it will be found unconstitutional, states can't make treaties
> and such between themselves.
>
>      Section. 10.
[...]
>      No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of
>      Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into
>      any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign
>      Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such
>      imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

I guess it wouldn't be unconstitutional if Congress approves it...  Or
does this not count as an "Agreement or Compact with another State"?
Somehow it reads that way to me.

--
Michael A. Gurski             (opt. [firstname].)[lastname]@pobox.com
Hail Eris! -><- All Hail Discordia!  O-  http://www.pobox.com/~[lastname]