FC: Bombastic conservative demands that DOJ censor usqueers.com

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Nov 27 09:42:48 PST 2001

The usqueers.com page in question:
http://www.usqueers.com/commentary/die_soon.html

Excerpt:
>Ronald Reagan, ex-President, deserves to experience a horrible death soon,
>and is getting what he deserves. We're listing him as wounded because the
>way he is dying is horrible (Alzheimer's) and irreversible, even if he
>isn't aware of it anymore, and not soon enough we will happily add him to
>our Good Riddance! section.

Attorney John B. Thompson, who wrote the letter to DOJ, has a fascinating
history of, for instance, reportedly attacking CBS over what he viewed as
threats the network's comedy show made on the life of George W. Bush:
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3992e0b40d02.htm

Thompson wrote a letter to FCC complaining about Howard Stern:
http://www.cluebot.com/articles/01/09/14/2010224.shtml
>a special tip-of-the-hat to [Thompson] who, in the face of the death of
>thousands of Americans, has taken time out of his busy schedule to
>petition the FCC to censor Howard Stern, whom he terms a 'child molestor'
>and 'pornographer'. It's nice to know some people have their priorities
>straight.

I'm not sure why CNSNews.com would call Thompson a "prominent First
Amendment lawyer." He seems to be a prominent 1A lawyer in much the same
way that Louis Freeh was a prominent privacy advocate.

In his email below, David Burt is talking about when the ACLU's Oregon
affiliate (not the national ACLU) filed an amicus brief arguing that a
federal judge close the Nuremberg anti-abortion site
(http://www.politechbot.com/p-01860.html).

-Declan

---