cypherpunks at toad.com is going away

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Tue Nov 27 09:24:48 PST 2001

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:04:44AM -0800, John Gilmore wrote:
> The cypherpunks list degenerated a long time ago to the point where I
> have no idea why more than 500 people are still receiving it every
> day.
>
> As part of cleaning up the email system on toad.com, I plan to shut
> down the cypherpunks-unedited list, which receives all the traffic
> sent to cypherpunks at toad.com, within the next week or two.
>
> I suggest that anyone who wants to talk or listen about encryption
> should send mail to:
>
> 	cryptography-request at wasabisystems.com

Cryptography is a moderated list that is fairly tightly focused
on cryptography.  It's a good list.

However if you are interested in the political and soceital
implications of cryptography (also traditional cypherpunks topics)
then cryptography is not the right list.

The cypherpunks list has moved to a distributed list run from
a number of sites.  Each site has a different policy-- some
are wide open like cypherpunks-unedited at toad, some moderated, and
some are unmoderated but filter out spam.

The web page http://www.lne.com/cpunk/ explains the Cypherpunks
distributed mailing list in more detail and lists each node
their policies and subscription info.

Eric