HDCP break and DMCA

David Wagner daw at mozart.cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 26 18:43:11 PST 2001

Anonymous  wrote:
>Why, then, did you go ahead with publication?

I believe publishing is important for the advancement of the field.
If noone publishes, how will we learn from our mistakes?  How will
people learn of the risks?  Fortunately, we are in a privileged position.
The university has been supportive of our work, which has made it easier
to publish on a limited basis despite the risks.

However, if I knew when we started this project what I know now, I would
not have initiated this research: I would have spent my time on some
other important problem without the legal overhead and risks.  In the
future, you can bet that I won't be working on copy protection again,
not if the situation stays like this.