The Crypto Winter

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon Nov 26 19:15:50 PST 2001

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Faustine wrote:

> >Then you have missed a fundamental aspect of human society and the
> >responbility (shades of Hayek) that goes along with it.
> >Hayek, von Mises, etc. would be disappointed.
>

> In a survival situation, nobody gives a crap about "human society", it's either
> a matter of conscience or it isn't.

Everything is a 'survival situation', some are just easier to resolve than
others. False distinction on your part.

Everybody with half an interest in surviving the 'survival situation' most
certainly cares about 'human society'. They have a primary goal.

AVOID DOG-EAT-DOG.

However, CACL doesn't provide a process to do that. When faced with a
crisis situation it jumps right to the 'worst case' result.

The reality is that 'survival situations' are why peoople build societies.
It happens to be why ALL social animals adopted that strategy, by sharing
and cooperating it becomes possible to maximize the number of survivers.
Something that CACL philosophy couldn't care sot about.

The reality is that by refusing to force others to share you in fact
exacerbate your survival situation. You claim that if somebody forces you
it is wrong, yet you seem to believe it's ok to force others.

So much for doing away with 'coercion'. At most CACL philosophy buys a
level or two of indirection with regard to blaim. However, that doesn't
remove the responsibility (re my Hayek quote on that topic a few weeks
ago).

CACL, as you clearly demonstrate by your responce, is focused on the 'I'.

> Actually if I were in that situation, I'd probably try to steal some of the
> water for him.

Perfect example of why you tend toward CACL philosophy.

And by the way, with no 'human society crap' there isn't any such thing as
'stealing'. There is 'taking' and 'taking against anothers wishes' but
neither of these are 'stealing'.

> But I wouldn't try to pretty up my stealing with some sanctimonious sermon
> about needs and obligations to the guy I have at the other
> end of my gun.

But you just did with your previous example. It's a perfect example of the
CACL 'Freedom for me, but not for thee'.

             Day by day the Penguins are making me lose my mind.

                                             Bumper Sticker

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com