Antivirus software will ignore FBI spyware: solutions

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Nov 26 16:31:58 PST 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:38:04PM -0800, Meyer Wolfsheim wrote:
> According to a rebutal posted to Declan's list, McAfee.com (not the same
> as McAfee) is claiming that neither it nor Network Associates is assisting
> the FBI.

I admit I'm not familiar with the details of the corporate structure,
but my understanding is that McAfee is the anti-virus arm of Network
Associates. Another NAI appendage is McAfee.com, which is majority-
owned by NAI. So you're right, not precisely the same, but they're
close enough for this purpose: I got a near-word-for-word identical
denial from NAI, below.

-Declan

---