HDCP break and DMCA

Anonymous nobody at remailer.privacy.at
Mon Nov 26 10:31:02 PST 2001

David Wagner writes:

> Given this risk, I've decided I cannot afford to continue to work in the
> area of copy protection as long as the uncertainty remains.  And how in
> good conscience can I advise students working with me to work in this
> troubled area?  I can't.

It's understandable that you would be concerned about the DMCA.
Niels Ferguson raised the same issues when he decided not to publish.

Why, then, did you go ahead with publication?  This is the part which
is hard to understand.  Niels decided not to publish, you and your
co-authors apparently came to the opposite conclusion.  Rhetorically
you are saying the same things as him, but your actions are different.
It would be interesting to hear more about how you reconcile the decision
to publish this result with the belief that the DMCA makes publication
in this field too risky.