Anonymizing Scam

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Nov 26 19:06:59 PST 2001

On Monday, November 26, 2001, at 06:24 PM, Anonymous wrote:

> The following message by Lance Cottrell responding to John Young's
> accusations was sent to the cypherpunks list but apparently never
> appeared here.

> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 00:15:16 -0800
> To: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com>,
>         Digital Bearer Settlement List <dbs at philodox.com>,
> dcsb at ai.mit.edu,
>         cryptography at wasabisystems.com, cypherpunks at lne.com,
> jya at pipeline.com
> From: "Lance M. Cottrell" <lcottrell at anonymizer.com>
> Subject: Re: Anonymizing Scam
> Describing our policy of open access as "sucking up to the TLAs" is
> absurd. I would have thought my history in this field would have
> earned me some consideration before jumping to that kind of
> conclusion. Does government and industry have no rights to, or needs
> for, privacy? It seems a hypocritical position for Cypherpunks to
> take.

"It seems a hypocritical position for Cypherpunks to
take."

Assuming that John Young speaks for "Cyphepunks" is bizarre.

--Tim May
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to
others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient
warrant." --John Stuart Mill