in praise of gold

georgemw at speakeasy.net georgemw at speakeasy.net
Mon Nov 26 16:42:37 PST 2001

On 21 Nov 2001, at 7:55, David Honig wrote:

> At 08:12 PM 11/20/01 -0500, Faustine wrote:
> >David wrote:

> >>They sleep with you because of your large cattle herd only they
> >>have accepted abstracted value and settle for gold or stocks...
> >

> >Not all women are golddiggers. I happen to think any woman who marries
> ..
> >The only "abstracted value" I find really intriguing is the quality of...
>
> You should interpret my statement in the context of George's statement
> not your personal life.
>
> Also regardless of your personal tastes, you should be familiar with
> sociobiology, Desmond Morris, etc.  Peacock feathers, mammaries on humans,
> antlers, etc.

Actually, in that context I was specifically NOT referring to
gold as a generic proxy for value,  if you'll recall I was listing
reasons was gold is particularly well suited to be a proxy for
value.  The point is that gold is something that falls into the
category of sparkly things that women like.  Women will sleep with
you if you give them jewelry, even if they're not going to
sell it.  Umm, or so I've been told.

Of course, men like the sparkly stuff also, but if wear lots of
jewelry people are likely to think you're either gay or a pimp.
Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but giving off
misleading signals can lead to embarassment.

George