Pricing Mojo, Integrating PGP, TAZ, and D.C. Cypherpunks

georgemw at speakeasy.net georgemw at speakeasy.net
Mon Nov 26 16:25:08 PST 2001

On 20 Nov 2001, at 22:54, Greg Broiles wrote:

> Very early in its lifetime, the Autonomous Zones/Mojo Nation people said
> that maybe Mojo would someday be exchangable with real cash, though the
> assumption was that during the early stages of software development, people
> were playing with worthless currency for proof-of-concept, and that at some
> point the old Mojo would be useless or disabled, and people would start
> using New Mojo instead, where New Mojo might have real value.

Here's my recollection as to how this was supposed to work:
1) people who participated in the beta got free mojo as a
reward for participating (they'd keep their mojo when the
beta period was over)
2) In the non-beta, people would have to pay (or something)
to get a starting stash of mojo
3) I don't think the "Evil Geniuses" ever expected to act as
mojo-cash brokers; rather, anyone who had a supply of
cash and mojo could act as a cash-mojo broker, and mojo
would find its own price.

> And that problem seems to be at the center of Nomen Nescio's sotto voce
> suggestion that some unnamed cypherpunks work up a currency which can be
> used to "pay" people for providing information which is of value - I get
> the impression that s/he is imagining some magic fairy would mint up piles
> of the currency, and assign it equally to every subscriber, who would then
> be empowered to pay it to the content providers they liked best.
>
> That's very warm and fuzzy and hippy-like, but if these tokens are handed
> out for free, then what, exactly, is their value?

Right. If the tokens are EVER going to be worth anything, there
can't be a way to accumulate then for free.  If people have this
psychological block against paying "real money" for tokens,
maybe it's a good idea to make them trade CPU time for them
in one of the seti-like projects.  Somebody mentioned something
about one involving protein-folding that sounded like it might
actually be useful.

George