Denning's Geo-crypto

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Nov 26 08:35:51 PST 2001

Curious. 4-5 years ago Denning and another associate (I
forget who, it's in the archives :-) tried to market an authentication
scheme which purported to authenticate the location of a remote
user using GPS.

The idea was that the user's machine would pick up the
aggregate analog GPS signal available at it's location
(either the regular, non-classified version or the
high-precision classified signals), and transmit it to
the server, which would use it to work out the
location of the user - a user who was located at
'Pentagon, third ring, fourth floor, Army segment'
would be accorded different privilieges than one whose
location decoded as 'Presidential Palace, Baghdad'.

I and several other list subscribers pointed out numerous
issues. Among them were:

1. GPS signals don't work well in buildings of substantial
construction, and the chance of them working at all in a
TEMPEST shielded building are about zip.

2. There are numerous DOS attacks available - the GPS
signals are easily jammed. One amusing approach would
be to use GPS test equipment to generate signals
appropriate for a different location (eg, Pyongyang) and
beam them at the site to be DOS'd.

4. Conversely, an  attacker could use the same test equipment
to make it look like he's in the Pentagon, when he's actually
in Kandahar.

5. GPS is based on the relative time delays of signals from
different satellites. Since network lag of hundreds of
milliseconds must be accepted, anyone who can see
the same set of satellites as the location to be spoofed
can separate the signals from the different satellites,
modify the lags appropriately, and remix to generate a
spoofed analog signal.

--------
I sent these concerns to Denning, who replied that she
would address them only under NDA, which I declined to
enter.

This sounds an awful lot like old wine in new bottles. Many
of the same concerns arise.

Peter Trei
Disclaimer: The above represents only my personal
opinions.