HDCP break and DMCA

David Wagner daw at mozart.cs.berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 25 23:12:47 PST 2001

Declan McCullagh  wrote:
>What makes you, Incognito, believe the DMCA may "criminalize" the
>publication of a scientific paper? What makes you believe that
>Niels Ferguson's worry was not hyperbole, or a PR stunt designed
>to garner press? What makes you think that a scientific paper
>would generate even civil liability?

Well, I spent quite a bit of time talking to lawyers about this very
issue, and unfortunately, it does not appear to be mere hyperbole.
As much as I'd prefer to believe this is nothing more than hyperbole,
the legal experts told me to take this issue very seriously, and I am.

As far as I can figure, it seems unlikely that publishing a scientific
paper would be fall under the criminal provisions of the DMCA, so
"criminalize" is probably inaccurate.  However, the potential liability
in a civil suit appears to be a significant concern.

The key is 1201(b), providing a "technology ... or component thereof",
etc., etc.  Is a scientific paper that merely describes how to build a
circumvention device a "technology or component thereof"?  It's simply
not clear.  The lawyers don't seem to be able to confidently predict
how such a case would turn out (and I spoke to several).

In other words, there appears to be a real, but unquantifiable risk --
a risk to scientists that cannot be lightly dismissed.

Given this risk, I've decided I cannot afford to continue to work in the
area of copy protection as long as the uncertainty remains.  And how in
good conscience can I advise students working with me to work in this
troubled area?  I can't.