HDCP break and DMCA

David Wagner daw at mozart.cs.berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 25 23:00:33 PST 2001

Incognito Innominatus  wrote:
>It would be interesting to hear the perspective of any of the researchers
>involved as to whether they are concerned about the DMCA.  Do they view
>themselves as creating a possible test case?  Or are they simply going
>to ignore the DMCA and go about their lives, doing their work on the
>assumption that such a bad law will ultimately not hold up in court?

I can't speak for any of the other authors, but yes, I am extremely
concerned about the DMCA.  In the case of HDCP, I spent more time speaking
with lawyers than I spent on the cryptographic research itself.  As a
result of this experience, I don't plan to work in the area of copy
protection again so long as this legal shadow hangs over the field.
The costs are simply too high.

For further information, you can read the declaration I submitted
in the Felten case.  It is available online at the URL below.
http://www.eff.org/Legal/Cases/Felten_v_RIAA/20011022_wagner_decl.pdf